Hi Janet
I've had TM for three years without another recurrence.  The chances of a
recurrence are something like 20%.  I focus on the 80% chance of not having
one.  The longer you go without a recurrence the higher your chances are that
it won't happen.  The greatest learning curve is recognizing what causes to
have symptoms that cause addition pain, spasms, stumbling, fatigue, clumsiness,
brain fog, etc.  These are my signals that I have pushed myself to hard
mentally or physically.
Sandy Siegel, the editor of the TM newsletter wrote a great article about
recurrence and exaberations.  You can find it on the myelitis.org home page,
newsletters, Dec 2004.  Someone on the site can likely give you the direct link.