Margie
Cymbalta is a drug that has been FDA approved for two purposes.  It was
orriginally approved for the use as an antidepressant.  It has also been
approved as a pain reliever.  Cymbalta has the right to advertise the use of
Cymbalta as an anti depressant and as a pain reliever.  I have been searching
for help with pain relief without trying Lyrica due to its cost.  I checked on
Cymbalta and in my searching I learned that Effexor works the same as Cymbalta,
but doesn't have the FDA approval as a pain reliever, therefore, cannot
advertise for pain relief.
I looked at the Cymbalta website and the first paragraph explained that it
"affects two naturally occurring chemicals in the brain and spinal cord,
serotonin and norepinephrine.  Research suggests that these chemicals play a
role in depression and pain."  Cymbalta is also prescribed for diabetic
neuropathic pain.
I just looked up both on wikipedia.com and read enough interesting info that
I'm going back to read some more.
Like you, I forgot to ask my Neuro how long before I can expect additional pain
relief.  However, today I've been doing a lot more around the house.  I sit for
a while and get up to so more.  Maybe it's working!
Good luck with the Cymbalt.
Patti - Michigan - Home of the Detroit Tigers Baseball Team