  From: Jim Lubin
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL
PROTECTED] ; Tmic-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 1:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [TMIC] Stem cells

  I feel the same way as Barbara does and have tried to explain it many times.
It's not so much our religious beliefs as regarding an embryo, from the time of
fertilization, a human life entitled to a right to live just as any other human.

  Those who don't consider an embryo a human life have no problem destroying
embryos for research. I think the law currently recognizes embryos as property
of the sperm and egg donors that created it and not a life.

  As Gunny pointed out usable stem cells have been found in embryonic fluid.
That is a tremendous scientific breakthrough which has been down played by the
media. The media wants to focus on controversy to fit a political agenda. The
media constantly wrongly says that some people are against all forms of stem
cell research, when no one is. Some people, such as myself, are against only
stem cell research which involve harming a viable human embryo.

  After listening to Dr Kerr a couple times I have changed my opinion a little.
Doug said he wants to use the IVF embryos that are malformed that would not
result in a viable pregnancy. That seems fine to me. Those embryos could be
declared dead (such as would be the case before organ donation) and then be
used. I still can't get myself to go along with using otherwise still viable
embryos just because they are left over and not going to be used in IVF.

  Jim