Hi Louise,
  Mine was across both sides also.  Because of it being on both sides, it has
caused havoc with my urinary problems.  I was cathing before I got TM because
of Cauda Equina Syndrome; and then learned to cath once paralyzed.  My urinary
problems have gotten much worse; and I am to have a surgery fairly soon.
Probably within a month.  After that I will not be cathing anymore and I will
stay drier.  It's unreal when I look back on  my life.  A car wreck around mid
20's left me searching 5 years to find someone to find the cause of my severe
neck pain.  I went to the world's largest spinal clinic at the time, Texas Back
Instiute, inwhich they found I had been living with 3 cracked discs for 5
years.  5 years it took to find the right person to tell me what was wrong.  I
had to say "goodbye" to a good Federal job, but I didn't have a life per say.
Then, a few years later, bending over to pick up a mat from vacumming the
inside of my car at a car wash place - it ended up in the
 road and I had to run in the middle of the road quickly to retrieve it.  2
hours later at home; I got up from the recliner and my back went out; I just
about went to the floor.  That added to the neck pain that had never left, even
after surgery; left me thinking what else could happen.  Surely that is it.
Then, after having 3 back surgeries for a herniated disc in the last couple
years, which finally gave me pain relief in the lower part of my back; I come
down w/ more back & leg pain; only to be diagosed with TM.  I sometimes wonder
if my dr. didn't use enough of the IV steriods to try and reverse it.  He did
it like one day and that was it.  Nothing about a plasma exchange, where I've
read about as a secondary method to reverse severe TM.  So, it's ironic instead
of volunteering for a group w/ disabilities several years ago after work; I
find myself disabled for a number of years and TM being the worse.  My pain
goes all over the trunk of my body.  It travels from one
 leg to another into my foot.  I was a mess yesterday.  I would be today if I
hadn't taken enough meds to control it ahead of time.  I have never seen a
disorder/or disease like this.  20 plus years on a morphine pump and I thought
last year after the last surgery - no more severe pain.  Little did I know what
was ahead for me......we can't control what happens to us; instead we have to
take what happens to us and make life better whatever it takes.
  Sorry for the novel!  Natalie Mizenko

        Hi Natalie,

  I hope that, in my e-mail, you didn't think I was saying we would all get MS.
 As I mentioned, MS is only one of the underlying diseases or infections that
may have caused the attack on our spinal cords in the first place --  with the
resulting demylination of the myelin sheath and nerves which has left at least
two thirds of us with life-changing problems.  I think we all get confused when
we talk about TM turning into something else when it is actually caused by
something else.

  In my case, the inflammation (myelitis) was across both sides of the spinal
cord (transverse) and they could not find a definite cause (ideopathic) so the
diagnosis was Ideopathic Transverse Myelitis.  They believe it happened because
of a sinus infection I had just before the attack of inflammation.  So far,
none of the ongoing tests have shown any other reason and I haven't had a
recurrence of TM to indicate something else may be going on.

  I apologize if my description wasn't clear enough and hope everyone will read
the John's Hopkins information as it is really helpful.

  Regards again,

  Louise