  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:40 AM
  Subject: [TMIC] NEURONTIN

  Dear Friend,

  More bad news from Big Pharma. Internal documents from Pfizer that were
recently submitted in a lawsuit against that company showed that the
pharmaceutical manufacturer tried to put a lid on medical studies that did not
support the use of its epilepsy drug, Neurontin. More than that, it seems that
the marketing arm of Pfizer even went so far as to delay the publication and
even ALTER THE CONCLUSIONS OF STUDIES that found that the drug did not work for
conditions other than epilepsy.

  Pfizer is accused of doing this to boost sales – and it must've worked.
Before the release of the generic version of Neurontin in 2004, the drug had
racked up a whopping $2.7 billion in sales in just one year (2003)! During this
marketing push, the company alleged that the product was also effective in the
treatment of pain and migraines. But the clinical studies did not support this
claim.

  Naturally, Pfizer has denied these allegations. But the company already
pleaded guilty and paid $430 million in fines and damages for illegally
marketing Neurontin back in 2004. So why should we believe they're not to blame
in this latest case?

  William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

  Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news & more!