--- Begin Message ---

Akua,

I enjoyed your poems and related to your words.

Look forward to more of your writing.

Kevin

Akua wrote:

        Thank you to those who asked. Here are two of my TM-related
        poems from April 2009.

        Prompt: Object

        Wheelchair

        Confined to? No it does

        not imprison me, some raw deal

        dealt this blow requiring help for

        every little here to there

        moving through any space

        Brilliant contraption: wheels

        4 wheels on chair

        to get you somewhere

        arms as pistons hands push

        against round smooth handrails

        pull to spin around, go backwards

        turn on a dime arm rests

        grey tires and if you dare to look: purple legs

        All fitted for me, the young man

        who measured was energetic, kind,

        knowing more, how a tool that fits

        makes hell easier to climb out of

        back height,  seat wider for my hips,

        cushion to foot rests, match knee bend past seat

        and foreleg length, mobile throne,

        horseless chariot, roll me roll me roll me home

        transfuse your capability to convey and wing me,

        (groundbound by arrow of outrageous fortune

        yet spirit flutters, flaps and sometimes, soars) free

        Akua Lezli Hope

        prompt: Routine

        Routine

        /Paraplegic poet meditates on T.R/.

    I sleep to wake and take my waking slow

    I fear my fate in what is no longer there

    I get nowhere that I used to go

    We think we know what we don't know

    I  pray daily to be cured, I cry to rise from here

    I sleep to wake and take my waking slow

    Many have abandoned me, both friend and foe

    God grant me strength!  I yearn for just one listening ear

    to take me somewhere that I used to go

    Cruel April stalls spring, we've lost the status quo

    Climate change costs lives, increases costs for care

    I sleep to wake and take my waking slow

    Reason eludes: why did life undo me so?

    One day, it might be you, run now in open air

    explore while you may, go far while you can go

    Frayed nerves tremble me unsteady, I plead to know

    what lesson in legs' loss, I can't climb the stairs

    I sleep to wake and take my waking slow

    I can go nowhere that I want to go.

    Akua Lezli Hope

--