Mindy,

I say give it a try.

I had been on 50mg of Amitriptyline daily when I was first in the hospital and just continued it when I came home. After being home almost a year I wanted to decrease or discontinue any unnecessary medication I was on. I was not depressed so didn't think I still needed an antidepressant. So with my doctor's ok I started decreasing the amount I was taking over several months. I started getting massive headaches when I decreased it too fast.

Back then I did not know that, although it is an antidepressant, it was also used to treat neuropathic pain. Luck for me I wasn't having neuropathic pain any longer so I didn't notice any difference after stopping Amitriptyline. Just one less medication.

We now know that depression is a symptom of TM (see the article Demoralization and Depression in Multiple Sclerosis and Transverse Myelitis by Adam Kaplin, MD PhD, http://www.myelitis.org/newsletters/v8n1/newsletter8-1-02.htm )

I also decreased the amount of Dantrolene I was taking for spasticity until the spasms got to strong. I have now been on the same amounts of baclofen (Lioresal) and dantrolene (Dantrium) for 17 years now.

Jim