  From: Janet Dunn
  To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:50 PM
  Subject: [TMIC] Occupations

  Hi All

  I was working at the local Health Food store in 2004, as a Nutritional
Consultant.  My legs had been "asleep" for awhile - I had gone to the Chiro and
the Massage Therapist in case I had a muscle knot somewhere.  Nothing.  I
continued to lose feeling over the course of several weeks, and my legs just
hurt.  It felt like there were clamps around my knees.  It wasn't until a
really good looking young man made a pass at my by touching my "butt" and
awaiting a response, that I realized something was dreadfully wrong.  By this
time I could hardly walk, there was a horrible band around my chest and I was
admitted to hospital.

  An MRI showed a lesion at T 4-5 and I was treated for MS.  I fought that
decision, and finally two years later after a spinal tap I was diagnosed with
TM.  In the two years it took for a diagnosis, I fought hard every day to walk,
to work, to look after my family (I am a single mom).  In September of 2008 a
neurologist said that that was it.  No point in fighting anymore, as I wasn't
going to get better.  The damage is done.   That sent me into a tailspin, as
all I had known was to fight this thing.

  I do have good mobility.  The cold weather sets my legs off.  I have a
problem with their temperature.  Imagine, a heating pad in the summer! I am
managed by lyrica, effexor, oxycodone, and flexeril when I need it.  On really
bad days, when nothing helps, my Dr. lets me have a Demerol shot to help with
the pain.  I have had lidocaine infusions, they did not help.

  I am currently off on medical leave, just to rest up and get "it" together.
I have applied for CPP disability.  I am back to fighting, but not as hard.  It
is more like managing now.  I am not sure I will ever be able to manage working
full time any more.  I just get too tired.

  I "lurk" in the background.  I appreciate so much all the comments that are
made:  like the accidental passing of gas - that was a relief, I thought I was
really out of it when that happened, so I was glad to know it is part and
parcel.  Like the bladder issues.  Like the medication issues, the depression,
the suicidal thoughts.

  Although I do not contribute very often, I want you all to know that I truly
appreciate everything that is said on here.  And thank you to all of you for
sharing.

  Janet Dunn