From: Jill Hammond <3jmhamm...@clearwire.net>
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:40:14 PM
Subject: [TMIC] Update on Mike

Well, everyone, here is your first update.  Before I begin, however, I
would like to thank all of you who have kept me and my family in your prayers,
it means a lot.  Don’t stop, though, as the  next 7 weeks or so are going
to be a little rough.  I especially want to thank my family, without their help
and support; I cannot imagine where I would be.

For those that like to be very specific, I found out I do not have what
I told you last time.  What I have is a tumor in the Maxillary Sinus.  This
tumor is a Neuro-endocrine type (small cell) of cancer.   There, that should
make it clear as mud.

Went in yesterday to the Chemo doc, and when he heard that we had to
wait until next Thursday for our radiation Doc appointment, left the room, came
back and told us as soon as we were through with him, we could go downstairs
and talk to the radiation doctor.  The right people and a little help from
above just cut off another 8 days of waiting.  I can start fighting back.

Today I went in to the doctor’s office and got fitted for my
“Hannibal Lector” mask.  This mask ensures that you do not move
your head at all while receiving radiation. Radiation for this is received from
a Tomography machine which produces the rays electronically.  I will tell you
that I could not even open my eyes while wearing the mask.. Very
claustrophobic, so a little Xanac helped.  Now, I go back in for my very first
radiation treatment next Thursday.  During this 7 week, five day a week
treatment, I will receive at least 6,000 RAD (Radiation Absorbed Dose) to the
cancer.  For those who are not aware, just let me say that 6,000 RAD is a LOT.
Unfortunately, my right optic nerve may receive much of this.  The optic nerve
begins to show damage at 4,500 RAD, So, I may loose some, or all, vision in my
right eye.  There are a lot of other little complications like loss of salivary
glands, loss of taste (Have that already), possible teeth problems,  and hair
loss (time for a Kojack shave).

The Chemotherapy introduction session is tomorrow and I learn what I
get, when it will start, if I will need a port and lots of other questions I am
sure.

So another update in a week or so.  Take care and be talking with you
soon.
God bless us, everyone,
 Mike and Coach Jill.