>  is spinal stroke what transverse myelitis is?

a myelitis is an inflammation of a nerve bundle, in our case the spinal cord;
the infection manifests by white cells in the fluid around the cord  (I had
none, so I didn't really have TM.)

transverse means across the thickness of the cord

spinal strokes are failures in blood flow in the arteries serving the spinal
cord, usually one of the two arteries that run parallel to the cord, in my case
one of the tiny arterial capillaries inside the cord at T9-T10

my cholesterol level was very high then (1997,) and I had been riding as a
passenger all day

I was lucky; the clot could have lodged in my brain with consequences not good.

Alton, currently 75 with very low bad cholesterol, high good stuff, and
expecting at least another decade of a good life