Well, Janice;

I am in New York now to see what these doctors might sort out.  As far as
getting MS first, then TM: the MS occurred first, alright; and then, months
later, TM.  But now I think the TM is hitching a ride on the MS and
broadening its effect.  So now I have MS symptoms on both sides, in
addition, or as part of, TM.

I still get spasticity attacks lasting from a few minutes to a few hours.
When I 'recover' I am groggy and my speech is slurred and slow.  They seem
to be related to emotional activity since, if I get excited either with
positive or negative feelings, then, within seconds, I get the fits.  I
stiffen up from head to toe, becoming like a pine board, sliding off the
chair and onto the floor.  I had another attack today after realizing I had
a way to increase my SSA payments.  And then, I stiffened up, slid onto the
floor losing control of arms and legs.

My dear wife got me up and into bed.  God bless her!  She just handles it
all with out any panic or anything, smiling as if this is a normal part of
the morning in any kitchen in the world.  There is no medical intervention
for this.  It just goes away on its own after a while.

I am really discovering what it is like being disabled.  I can walk to the
car or into the bank or a little farther, but that's it.  No standing and
waiting for busses; no going up and down the stairs for the subways; so, if
I want to go somewhere I am dependent on others to think of it and offer it.
Frankly, my family isn't there yet.  But in all fairness, they work really
hard to make a living for themselves and their dependents and have little
off-time for anything.

I am now exploring becoming a 'Big Brother,' to be some boy's guide and
companion sort of, for some hours of the week or month.  I can play catch
and we can go to Yankee or Mets games together, since I can't go anywhere
alone.  Even if I could go, if I have a fit and am alone then I am in
trouble.  I am hoping for a teenager as the 'little,' as they're called.
We'll see.  With a teen I could take him to museums, parks, ball games, lots
of places in this wonderful City.  And if I had a fit he could support me
and get me to a bench or something.  He might learn some things and I would
be enabled to get out of my place for a while.

Dalton Garis

New York

  _____