From: James Berg
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 3:54 PM
To: Akua
Cc: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [TMIC] Foley caths--Condom cath

When I was getting ready to leave the hospital the dr.s were telling me I had
to cath every four hours after I left.  Yet they were changing my cath in the
hospital every three days?  I argued that the more cathing that was done, the
more the chance of infection increased.  winning that battle I pushed for the
condom catheter and that was used for the last week of my stay.   I have been
on the condom cath for 7 months now and even though it comes off now and then
when I am transfering in or out of my chair, it still is way beter and cheaper
than the internal cath.  My wife and wonderful caretaker devised a method of
taping the condom cath in place with two bands of narrow tape and it works
prety well.  I have had no bladder infections like I did when I was in the
hospital with the internal cath.