From: fr...@franksheldon.com
To: tmic-list@eskimo.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:10:01 +0000
Subject: [TMIC] stem cell treatment for spinal cord lesions

News release:

StemCells, Inc. Files to Conduct Neural Stem Cell Trial in Chronic Spinal Cord
Injury

PALO ALTO, Calif., Nov 15, 2010 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) --
StemCells, Inc. (Nasdaq:STEM) announced today that is has filed an application
with Swissmedic, the Swiss regulatory agency for therapeutic products, to
conduct a clinical trial in Switzerland of the Company's HuCNS-SC(R) purified
human neural stem cells in chronic spinal cord injury patients. If authorized,
the study would enroll patients who are three to 12 months post-injury.

"With this filing we have taken a tangible step to broaden the clinical
development of our HuCNS-SC product candidate beyond the brain and into the
spinal cord," said Martin McGlynn, President and CEO of StemCells, Inc. "This
exciting initiative is supported by extensive preclinical research
demonstrating the ability of our proprietary cells to restore lost motor
function when transplanted in the chronic spinal cord injury setting. The
prospect of extending the treatment window to months or longer following injury
would mean that a much larger population of injured patients could potentially
benefit from such an approach."