i cannot imagine all of that.

sounds like murphys law in high gear

--- On Tue, 11/16/10, Emily <em...@telephonelady.com> wrote:

From: Emily <em...@telephonelady.com>
Subject: RE: [TMIC] stem cell treatment for spinal cord lesions
To: "'Janice Nichols'" <jan...@centurytel.net>, tmic-list@eskimo.com
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 9:41 AM

My husband over the course of testing it was discovered that he might have
Lymphoma (non-hodgkins type so treatable and curable).  He is back in the
hospital to run further tests so they can make a diagnosis regarding the
lymphoma because previous tests were inconclusive.  So when I contacted his
Neuro yesterday with regards to John being a candidate for the Switzerland
trials of stem cell here is how she answered my email:

I think it is important that John getting the testing that we laid out
previously, as lymphoma would be treated much differently than other causes of
spinal cord injury (and stem cell treatment would have no role in that case).
Prior to that evaluation being completed, I don't think that he could be a
candidate for this.  I believe this treatment is more aimed at motor (not
sensory) function, with which John has made significant strides with PT.  Most
of these studies are aimed at individuals with para/quadraplegia.  I will see
what I can find out, but I think it is a very long shot.

He was admitted yesterday because his transfers were getting sloppy AGAIN and
it appeared that he was having a relapse AGAIN.  Each time he has been given
steroids and he responds fairly well and can walk about 100 feet with a walker
but then must get back in the wheelchair.  One of the treatments for Lymphoma
is steroids so this is why they are leaning more towards the lymphoma.  Early
on in this nightmare…in one of his MRI of thoracic spine they saw a slightly
enlarged lymph node which could be indicative to the lymph system cleaning out
the viral infection or lymphoma.  Since his TM is idiopathic they keep looking
for a reason and lymphoma in VERY RARE cases can cause TM if it should wreak
havoc in the spine.  Steroids is also how they treat TM….so it is all so up in
the air at this point but these tests over the next few days should show
something and if it is lymphoma they will begin treatment.

It has been a very long and bumpy ride through this medical adventure.  John
began getting symptoms on August 10th, hospitalize on August 29th, Diagnosed on
September 4th with Idiopathic TM, and then it has been acute rehabs,
hospitalized in ICU for pulmonary embolism and insertion of vena cava filter,
back to rehab, home for 14 days, hospitalized for relapse, home for 5 days,
hospitalized with pneumonia, home for 5 days, and now back in the hospital with
relapse and tests to diagnose lymphoma or not.  He has been home a total of 24
days since August 29th…..and whatever could go wrong has.

Hopefully even if it is lymphoma that is causing the TM, damage to the spine
has taken place and we hope that he will be a candidate for the trials in
Switzerland …..time will tell and we are keeping our fingers crossed.   We are
hoping that it doesn’t matter how the spinal cord gets injured to be a
candidate for these trials.

Thanks to this group for helping us get through a very difficult time right
now.  YOU are the only ones that could even imagine what he is going through
right now.  I am so thankful for finding this group…it has been so helpful.

Emily Meyers
For John Meyers T7 – T11