Sounds like a pretty painful reminder!    Janice

-----Original Message----- From: kale...@sfcn.org
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:14 PM
To: Janice Nichols
Cc: wim from holland ; TMIC
Subject: Re: [TMIC] WARNING - don't overstretch

Interesting to read these last two emails, as it reminded me of how I
injured myself last summer by overstretching, but not by the same kind of
accident as did Wim!  I didn't even know I'd done it!  We stretch to help
manage the spacticity, right.  Well, I finally went to a podiatrist when
my left ankle had been hurting worse and worse.  He told me I had TORN my
Achilles tendon!

Apparently, I had gradually stretched it too much and it had torn 33%!  It
healed in a few months, but still hurts almost as much as before it
healed.  Now they tell me I have Sural Nerve Neuritis - apparently from
scar tissue pressing on the nerve???  Good news is that the Podiatrist
recommended Lyrica, which just happens to also be good for spacticity,
too.  I've only been on it a couple of weeks but it seems to be helping.

Bottom line is, PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERSTRETCH!

Apparently, b/c of the spacticity, there's not as much give as there
normally would be, and it facilitated the tear.  And even more, it's the
exact pain I've had in my hip (thigh) for 4 years, which they decided was
from overcompensating for my right leg which was the one most affected by
the TM.  But the podiatrist agreed that if I could tear at the ankle, I
could well have torn a tendon in my thigh/hip. It all makes sense b/c
someone had talked me into doing some extreme stretches shortly after the
initial TM, thinking that would help me.  At the time I didn't have too
much feeling in that leg and didn't notice how bad it was until my feeling
improved!  But I'm pretty sure, now, that that was what caused this
sciatica-like pain, too.

I've been wanting to post about this to warn others about overstretching.
(I tend to easily go to extremes!  It's keeping that balance; being
'moderate' that I have a problem with.  And now I'm paying for it!  :)

Happy New Year,
Sally

I had a hamstring problem too.   Therapists had me doing lots of
stretching and I am back to normal (if you can call TM normal) now.
Good luck
with it.    Spain sounds like a great cure!    Tell us about the trip when
you get back.
Janice