 From: Elizabeth Clark <xbeecla...@gmail.com>
To: 'Janice Nichols' <jan...@centurytel.net>; tmic-list@eskimo.com; 'Robert
Pall' <robthe...@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:30 PM
Subject: RE: [TMIC] Is it really so important to know?

While I agree, for the most part, about
getting on with our lives with what we have, I also have a desire to know ‘the
cause’ for the following reasons…

Since contracting TM almost 6 years ago
and discovering it is an auto-immune condition, my sister has been diagnosed
with two different auto-immune conditions – Shingles (about 4 yrs. ago) and
Celiac (gluten intolerance, just this last year).

My mother has had three auto-immune
conditions – Rheumatoid Arthritis, Temporal Arteritis (inflammation of
blood vessels in arteries of the head, about 5 yrs. ago) and Alopecia (hair
loss – two yrs. ago).

In addition to TM, and though not
considered an auto-immune condition, I also have Scoliosis – ‘idiopathic’
like my TM.

Because of all of this, I worry about my
two children developing any of the same – or other – auto-immune
conditions at some point in their lives. I’d like to know there is some
way in the near future to predict and/or prevent that happening. At 21 and 22,
they’ve passed the ‘adolescent scoliosis’ age of 10-13 yrs,
but my sister and I weren’t dx’d with the rest until our 50’s
and my mother’s began in her 70’s.

I’m sure this has occurred to other
TM’ers who worry about having passed this or some other condition on to
their children. Is it just genetics and was never realized years before, or is
it environmental or related to all the processed food we eat that’s
affected the depletion of vital vitamins and minerals our bodies need to be
healthy?

Whatever the cause, I want to know. In the
meantime, I do what I can with what I have to lead the best life possible.

Betty
(in Northern California)