Dalton,

You make some very insightful observations. Like you, whenever I'm asked how I'm doing, I usually just say I'm "plugging along" and don't elaborate unless asked. You are so right about not dwelling on the bad... the depression associated with TM is daunting enough and continuing to remind yourself of it by recounting the effects of your condition does nothing to improve your situation.

I have found I need to make the effort to get out and see people and inject myself into life so I don't hole myself up in my home and become a hermit. It's very easy to do! For those less mobile, I can appreciate how difficult it must be to prevent the isolation. I would hope there are community organizations one could avail oneself of to help with staying involved in life... or start something yourself. Is there a particular hobby you're interested in that you could organize a group get-together through your local community center, high school, library or such? Or start a Bingo club to meet at your home once a month. A knitting club or weekly/monthly card game. Volunteer to help tutor struggling students or correct papers at your local school. Anything to get yourself in a situation where everyone is on an equal playing field and no one has to worry about "the elephant (TM) in the middle of the room". Then if someone wants to ask, you can tell them (and maybe begin to educate them in the process, of how to be more comfortable around those with disabilities).

The point is to find something to give your life a purpose, to not wallow in self-pity and regret. Find your strengths and build on them. Maybe others here can contribute more ideas to help each other become more involved in life. What do you say folks? You may even find a way to create a business for yourself... do you like genealogy? Offer to research someone's family history for an agreed-on amount.

Let's hear some more suggestions. Our bodies may have limitations, but our minds are alive and well! How creative are you?

Betty Clark
(Northern California)