Not to worry, the plan won't break your current workflow if that is what you
prefer.

So far what we have discussed is an API between iTerm2 and tmux that would
allow tmux's state to be reflected in iTerm2's. My goal in proposing this
idea was to make the environment seamless. There are cases where that may
not be desirable (such as when you have 300 tmux windows) and the onus will
be on iTerm2 to accommodate the user and do something reasonable.

This new mode, when implemented, would be enabled by a new command or
command-line option to tmux. If you prefer not to use it, you can not enable
it.