Actually I had a quick look now,

Looks good, and the idea of using APC is a good one.

A few things:

- I think the handshake should have the tmux version or a protocol
version. I think the latter because the OpenBSD tmux doesn't have a
version number.

- Your list of options has some things that aren't options but are the
names of key tables (emacs-edit etc).

- There needs to be a mechanism to specify the client "identify"
  information, particularly the terminfo description tmux should use but
  also the terminal flags (if is UTF-8, 256 colours, 88
  colours). Easiest probably to have that as an argument to -C.

Otherwise seems good.

I'd say as a first step let's get the unsolicited bits tmux->terminal
working, I'll try and take a look at that this week time permitting.