Greetings,

I notice that tmux uses libevent. I maintain a project for interfacing with
tmux through Python.  It's pretty robust, essentially it lets you control
tmux servers, sessions, windows and panes as tmux objects [1+2].

This is the only external language binding I've seen with tmux:
-
https://github.com/redbrain/cython-book/blob/master/chapter3/tmux-project/tmux-1.8/cmdpython.pyx
-
https://github.com/redbrain/cython-book/blob/master/chapter3/tmux-project/tmux-1.8/cmdpython.pxd

The issue I have is portability. Typically tmux installed via a package
manager doesn't have access to a tmux.h. I think that would be necessary to
interact with the tmux socket?

Is there a way to interact with tmux *without* subprocess / shell? Such as
through libevent?

Is there any intention of optional bindings for tmux for other languages?
Shared lib headers?  What would be the implications of adding / not adding
that?

[1]: http://tmuxp.readthedocs.org/en/latest/quickstart_python.html
[2]: http://tmuxp.readthedocs.org/en/latest/api.html