David wrote:

Hi all,

I have the latest (.76) version of Bill's toaster installed on a rh9 box,
and some users of the system have been experiencing problems using outlook
when attemptimg to send large file attachments.

When trying to send a 17MB attachment recently I got a typical result:

inactivity. Subject 'acrobat reader', Account:
'mail.aberfoylecomputers.com', Server: '192.168.100.1', Protocol: SMTP,
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

ie. it just times out, taking a lot longer than expected (on the inside of
the firewall this time, connection to the server is LAN - should only take
about 10-20 seconds).

Is there a maximum message size limit? I have searched for similar problems,
and will keep searching, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful
for some help.

There is no message size limit setup by default during installation. That is controlled by the /var/qmail/control/databytes file.

The only other limit I can think of is the softlimit program, called in /service/qmail-smtpd/run. Does anyone know if the softlimit needs to be higher than your databytes limit?

Regards,

Bill