On Sunday 13 Feb 2005 16:28, David wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the latest (.76) version of Bill's toaster installed on a rh9 box,
> and some users of the system have been experiencing problems using outlook
> when attemptimg to send large file attachments.
>
> When trying to send a 17MB attachment recently I got a typical result:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Subject 'acrobat reader', Account:
> 'mail.aberfoylecomputers.com', Server: '192.168.100.1', Protocol: SMTP,
> Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
>
> ie. it just times out, taking a lot longer than expected (on the inside of
> the firewall this time, connection to the server is LAN - should only take
> about 10-20 seconds).
>
> Is there a maximum message size limit? I have searched for similar
> problems, and will keep searching, but if anyone has any ideas I'd be very
> grateful for some help.

first off check the clamav settings, there is an option on size limit there
but I suspect that that is not the problem, but resources. If it was a preset
limit, the refusal would be instant, but the above looks like a croak.

Are you running clamav/spamassassin?
The latter especially can be very resource-hungry

You need to note the exact time the event occurs and look at the logs
/var/log/qmail/smtpd/current for the incoming
/var/log/clamd/current for av scanning
wherever spamassasin logs to

and finally look to see if it got out in
/var/log/qmail/current (probably not)

check your softlimits in the various run files.

HTH
--
Bob Hutchinson