Folks,

I plan to cut a "milestone 5" release of Tomcat 4.0 this coming Friday (or,
worst case, on Saturday).  As a sneak preview of coming attractions, the
following cool stuff will be included:

* Initial version of the web connector for Apache

* Substantial performance optimizations on the
  stand alone HTTP connector

* Support for a JNDI naming context (like J2EE
  servers provide) even for Tomcat stand-alone.

* Support for the new invocation service -- among
  other things, this lets you bind Tomcat stand-alone
  to port 80 without having to run as root!

* The usual assortment of bug fixes.

After milestone 5, I propose that we consider Tomcat 4.0 to be "feature
complete", so that we can commence with a beta cycle, and focus on shaking out
remaining bugs -- aiming for a final release either late December or early
January.  At the same time, we can start talking about features and
functionality we'd like to see in Tomcat 4.1.

Craig McClanahan