Dan Milstein wrote:

> > On the other hand, a separate repository causes no problems that I've
> > experienced, and avoids all of the issues listed above.
>
> I agree that branches under CVS are way, way confusing, and so I'll support a
>separate repository.  The one disadvantage I do see, however, is that we'll lose the
>ability for CVS to automatically merge changes from one branch into the other.  For
>example, if we have a 4.0 and a 4.1 ("Head") branch, then, *in theory*, we could make
>bugfixes on 4.0, and then ask CVS to automatically merge those fixes into the "main"
>4.1 branch.
>
> With separate repositories, we'll have to do those merges by hand.

Point well taken.

I'm not at all a fan of automated merges ... CVS gives me enough grief already merging
conflicts on individual files :-)

> On the other hand, having worked extensively with CVS branches, those merges between
>branches are very temperamental, so I want to emphasize the "in theory" part.

Yep.  It is one of those "sounds wonderful" things, but I cringe every time I run one.

Also, my historical experience has been that the need for branch merging *between* dot
releases (4.0 and 4.1 in this scenario) is quite a lot less common than merging code
branches *within* a dot release.

But the option to do this automatically is something we give up.

> Just I thought I should point this out...
>
> -Dan

Craig