GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> -1 - We'll have now 3.2, 3.3, 4.0 and 4.1 branches
>     Too many branches for the same project.
>     Please don't reopen a 3.x against 4.x campaign.

Henri, I would like to ask you to voluntarily remove your -1.  The only way
to make progress towards a 4.0 release is to slow down the rate of
potentially disruptive change for a brief period.  In an all volunteer
organization (and often in commercial development too), the only way to
make that work is to provide an alternate place for other changes to be
made.

The way I did that in the past was to cut a branch for the release I was
trying to shut down and get out the door.  The current preferred approach
is to create a new cvs module.  They both accomplish essentially the same
thing.  (I'm neutral on this - I miss the access to the long term change
history, but I do see compensating advantages).

Without an effective means to get a release out the door, what your veto
essentially would argue that the existence of a 3.x baseline would preclude
the ability to ever have a 4.0 release in any form, and certainly that
wouldn't be in the best interests of anybody, right?

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Craig, Jon, and other PMC members lets discuss the meaning of vetos
in the upcoming F2F.  I am growing increasingly displeased with the
apparent attitude that "since I disagree with your reason for a veto, it is
not valid, and therefore it can be ignored".