GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >Lots of good stuff.  A few ideas/possibilities:
>
> Happy to see you allready read it Dan :)
>
> > 1) We've talked about specifying a response packet to
> >indicate that the
> >engine (or the web server) doesn't recognize a packet sent
> >over.  This would
> >allow us much more flexiblity to add packet types to ajpv14,
> >without having
> >to make ajpv15,16, etc.
>
> Could you develop ?

I have an idea:

To the "LOGON COMP CMD" from the  WEB-SERVER (second message), Add a CString:
WEB-SERVER INFO
The string could be something like: "Apache mod_jk AJP13 AJP14 AJP15"
Tomcat would answer "Tomcat AJP14" to tell that it supports protocol AJP14.

> > 2) What about specifying a separate, out of band control socket
> >connection?  If the web server opened up two connections, 1
> >for data, one
> >for control, then we could have much better communication from
> >the engine to
> >the server (if it was shutting down contexts, for example).
> >We could also
> >have a heartbeat without interfering with the data channel.
>
> Good idea, but how could we be sure that we'll have only
> one control channel to a given servlet engine ?

If we allow shutdown it could end confusing the user (which Apache has shutdown
Tomcat?).
So it could be good to have only one control channel. But what to do if more
than one WebServer connect to Tomcat?

> In multi-threaded environnement like Apache 2.0, it's easy to
> launch a thread to handle that, but in Apache 1.3 will have no
> others choice than having each child (forked) opening it's
> own control connection since each child is forked and so have
> it's own copy of 'servlet-engine infos

Probably we need shared memory...