2 things:

> The system is aimed to be simple, we don't want SSH/SSL
> here but just a basic 'protected' login.

and that you can bind the socket to 127.0.0.1:<PORT> instead of *:<PORT>
through a config change.

>>This level of security would cover most of the installations
>>and when someone requires an additional level of security or
>>interface to other security mechanisms, that could be added
>>later.
>
> We can add native SSH tunneling for example using openssh.

You could do that already with no modifications to the ajp by using port
forwarded SSH tunneling. Heck, you could do it with STunnel if you want to
use RSA/SSL instead of SSH also without modifications to ajp.

--
Nick Bauman
Software Developer