a couple quick thoughts (i haven't fully processed all of this yet
:))...

feels like the right thing to do is freeze ajp13, and only add new stuff
to ajp14.  perhaps code can be refactored so that common stuff in
ajp13/14 can be pulled out of the ajp13 code and put into a common place
in org.apache.ajp.

or...

have one implementation on the java side that can determine the protocol
version (1.3, 1.4, X.x ...) and behave appropriately.  for example, the
web server would send protocol version info, or maybe the packet header
is enought (the 0x1234) for the java side to determine if the ssl key
size is a valid attribute.

i'm kind of in a hurry, so these thoughts are going straight from brain
to keyboard with no processing in between ;-)

-kevin.