I agree that even if you have option b) working, option a) is the
correct way to go so that we don't break backwards compatibility.

Mike Anderson
Senior Software Engineer
Platform Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software
www.novell.com

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/04/01 06:24AM >>>
Hi to all,

The work in still on progress on AJP14 and I've got new
questions on ajp14.

1) AJP14 could be considered like an evolution of AJP13.

   Basically the same protocol but with added commands.

   AJP13 use the 'AB' chars in start of protocol, what about
   using something like 'DE' in the case of AJP14.

   It will help detect and fixes problem when trying to
   use AJP14 on AJP13. Smarted servlet engine could even
   route the incorrect ajp protocol

2) Servlet 2.3 (I can't get the Proposed Final Draft 2)
   add as requirement cipher_suite and key_size.
   cipher_suite is allready present in current ajp13.

   I've added key_size to a test ajp13 but adding it
   to current ajp13 may break compatibility since I'll add
   a command #11 in the ajp13 stream, something which will not
   be understand by current ajp13 java implementation.

   So what to do now ?

        a) Freeze the ajp13 in all branches and add the key_size only in
ajp14
        b) add key_size to ajp13 in mod_jk (in jtc) and in all the java
implementations ?

        I've done the b) case, and so I've adapated mod_jk (native) and
ajp13
       (java for TC 4.0) on jakarta-tomcat-connector to recognize and use
the new command.
       I attached the diff :)

        Even if I've worked on the b) case, I think it will be more secure
to use a)
       and freeze ajp13 now.... Just to keep compatibility with TC 3.2.2
which are
       now closed to new features an which didn't require the Servlet 2.3
compatibility.

-
Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
EMAIL : [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (. .)