On real typewriters, the TAB key (used for TABles) moved to the next TAB
stop, which could be anywhere on the line. It would make a nice thumping
noise when the carriage hit the stop, too. The notion that tabs == some
number of spaces is a modern aberration stemming from DECWriters having tab
stops every 8 spaces. They also, perversely, would execute a carriage return
when issued a newline.

<g>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>This electronic mail transmission
may contain confidential information and is intended only for the person(s)
named.  Any use, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify