From: Justin Erenkrantz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 5:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [jtc] tabs policy??

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 07:17:37PM -0500, kevin seguin wrote:
> so, is there a tabs policy in jakarta?  like the number of spaces per
> tab (4 vs. 8), of no tabs in source code?  i ask because i just got the
> latest jtc source, and when i open up some of the files in emacs (in
> which i have tab width set to 8 spaces), some lines are indented 4
> spaces, and some 8.  what it looks like is someone used an editor with
> tabs configured to be 4 spaces, but insert tab characters rather than
> spaces.  anyway, it's quite unreadable, so that why i ask ;)  (i hope
> this doesn't start a war ;-))

According to the Jakarta site, I believe the Java code goes under:

http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html

Spaces vs. tabs aren't specified, but it says indention of 8.

I'd imagine that the j-t-c code (non-Java code) uses the traditional
Apache style:

http://dev.apache.org/styleguide.html

But, that isn't specified anywhere.

I wish that the Java code used the Apache style.  I find indention of
8 with hard tabs to be downright awful.  Some of us don't use GUI
editors.  =)  -- justin