On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Adam Fowler wrote:

> [snip]
> Is this documentation going to be used on the jakarta-tomcat site? If so who
> can commit the documents?

As a Tomcat developer, I believe that docs about a particular version of a
software package should be shipped with that package (*and*, browsable on
the Tomcat web site).  And, it's more convenient (and likelier to be
accurate and up-to-date) if the documents themselves are part of that
project.

That doesn't say anything about whether it is *your* particular documents
or not (that's a matter of proposing them and seeing if they get
accepted).  It also does not preclude external efforts to document Tomcat
either.

> Also, TomcatBook are using the GNU FDL so if
> apache's license is more restrictive that could be a problem

If you want to start a gigantic flame war, keep talking about GNU
vs. Apache licenses :-).  But it's not really relevant -- documentation
that is actually checked in to an Apache CVS repository must have an
Apache license (and copyright).

External projects can, of course, distribute their own documents under
whatever license they wish.

> (why
> documentation is covered by apache's software license I don't know!)

Because documentation is software, just like code is.

Because we want to grant the same rights to use the documentation as we
grant to use the code.

And, because we want the same protections on the documentation as we want
on the code.

Craig