On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:21:55PM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>> > I had to work around some issues with that OS myself writing the
Service
>> > code, and definitely, I wouldn't trust that "thing" not even to drive
my
>> > coffee pot, but, of course, that's me. Get a decent and "real" OS,
don't
>> > fight with those issues (Solaris 8 on x86 is far better, IMVHO, and
it's
>> > downloadable for free... Soooo...)
>
>> But do you get the sources with it? ;-(?

>http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/source/

We got sources access but who is leading the developpement ?

Sorry to say that Sun lost its chance of providing a solid
OpenSource base OS by not providing Solaris (or may be even
SunOs 4.1.3) in OpenSource many years ago....

>I'm with Pier on this.  Solaris 8/Intel is awfully nice.  -- justin

May be but the reference today in Unix Market is Linux, at least in
term of boxes deployed and used. And Linux run now on more processors
(alpha, arm, ia32, ia64, ppc, sparc) than Solaris.

I remember the old days when all OpenSourced code was available for SunOS.
Now it is developped first under Linux and next ported to others OS.

Why didn't Sun follow the IBM example and participate activaly in Linux
Developpement (including Kernel adaptation and Tuning ?)

I know that many of jakarta-tomcat commiters are paid by Sun but consider
that there is MANY HAPPY Linux users around which are borred of that
kind of remarks on their OS. Just recall the pool about OS used in J-T-C.

The title was about DOC (Tomcat Doc).