Curtis Dougherty wrote:

> Chris -
>
> I may be the biggest idiot on the planet

Nah, SSL can just be a little tricky sometimes :)

> but I have Read and Re-Read the SSL How-2 for Tomcat 4 - honestly...
> it reads exactly like the REM'arks in the Server.xml

Well, hopefully it has a *little* more information ;-)

> ...The problem is not the content... but Tomcat 4 b6 just doesn't
> want to use SSL (https://localhost:8443/examples)
>
> Poof!  broken...
>
> :(

Hmmm ... well, referencing that directory would fail if you have
directory listing disabled. Does https://localhost:8443/index.html work?
Try https://localhost:8443/examples/servlets/index.html as well. What
about trying those same addresses with "http:" as the protocol, just to
verify that your machine is successfully resolving "localhost". If that
protocol fails also, then try to ping "localhost".

If you're running a *nix system, try using "netstat" to see whether or
not your machine is listening on 8443. If nothing above helps out,
please let me know your environment (OS, JDK, and TC version) and we'll
look into it a little further.

- Christopher