on 9/9/01 6:49 PM, "Pier Fumagalli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, I agree with you, maybe "responsible" is the wrong word... I have no
> problems in moving all emails to the list (as I get a copy of each single
> mail bugzilla sends). Sending mails to individuals IMO is better because the
> people listed there are the ones who can see "on the spot" if a bug is valid
> or not, who can take immediate action, or not...
>
> If this list wants to be cluttered with mails about bugs, let's just do the
> change (but I remember that when I set up bugzilla, most didn't want to see
> them, and that's why we changed)...

This is a DEVELOPERS list. The people on this list are the ones who can fix
the bugs and by having the bug reports go here, people can volunteer more
easily to fix bugs they are interested in.

Unless the developer goes to the website to read the full description of the
bug report, then they can't easily fix the bug.

It is nice being able to see a full bug report *when it comes in* so that it
can be quickly dealt with or someone can quickly volunteer to fix it without
having to go to the website.

Your weekly report email is a good summary device, but it isn't an adequate*
solution (IMHO) towards encouraging random developers to jump in and fix
those outstanding bugs (which is what we want IMHO).

My opinion is that if people on this list don't care about bugs, then they
can either join the USERS list or filter them out with their email client.

Here is another point: What if one of you goes on vacation and forgets to
make the switch to assign it to someone else? The *only* thing that will
notify the list of the bug is the weekly email. What if it is a security
hole bug report and the weekly email isn't set to go out for another 6 days?
I understand that you get a copy of all of the emails, but that is still a
single point of failure if you get behind a couple days on your own emails
(or don't read one of them closely enough).

> How isn't it adequate? (Sometimes I wish not to do shit, like the scripts to
> send automatic email about bugs, so that people will not start complaining)

See above *.

p.s. I would be interested to see over time after sending the emails to this
list when they get submitted, if random developers volunteer to fix bugs
that come in.

p.p.s. Paulo's suggestion still defeats the point I'm trying to get across.
For example, I have always preferred CVS commit emails going to the -dev
list because it causes more people to look at the commits and comment on
them (peer review is one of our selling points, lets capitalize on that). If
bugs go to their own list, then chances are most people aren't going to see
them because they either don't know about the bugs list or are to lazy to
subscribe.

-jon