Kevin Seguin wrote:

> > If we move more and more logic and code in j-t-c, we may need
> > to have soon a specific jakarta-tomcat-connectors dev-list ?
> >
> > There is today low java in jtc, mainly native code.
> > If all the 'ORB' java code is moved to j-t-c, for jk,
> > next maybe warp, and coyote also, we'll need to split
> > the current tomcat-dev list.
> >
> > What do you think about ?
> >

> it does seem like j-t-c might be reaching the critical mass where it
> warrants its own list.

Catch me if I'm wrong, but currently j-t-c is dependent on tomcat
code, right?  I make this statement without having actually looked at
the code for the connectors.  I'm going by recent discussions about
how an API change in Catalina broke the build for a connector.

If this is true, then I think it would be a mistake to separate it
into its own list.  Assuming the above paragraph is true, then
j-t-c isn't really a separate module, it's part of the tomcat
container, it just happens to be in its own CVS directory.

Personally, I think it should be a separate module buildable without
a tomcat container.  Once it was split out, it should have defined its
own API for a containter interface.  The containers could then
implement j-t-c adapters in their own areas.  Of course, like I said,
since I don't know the code it may already be this way.  Also, since
I run tomcat stand-alone, it would be tough for me to develop and test
such as thing and I try not to make suggestions I wouldn't be willing
to help develop.

-Paul