On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> In HTTP/1.0, looking at the Host header is non standard. We can look at it
> if it is there (and I believe we do; if we don't it is very simple to change
> that), but in the end the HTTP/1.0 protocol is inefficient broken in many

The Host header is not specified in the standard - it's what we would call
a 'standard extension' :-) There are few extensions to the HTTP/1.0 that
are in very common use - in the sense that all browsers and most clients
support them, and Host is the best example.

Some of those extensions found their way into HTTP/1.1 spec.

AFAIK Host: allways worked this way ( at least in the last 5 years ).

> many ways, and it's not Tomcat's job to fix it. If NAT doesn't work with
> HTTP/1.0, then it is the protocol's fault. I don't know any client these
> days which wouldn't use HTTP/1.1 in its header anyway.
> In HTTP/1.1, we *only* look at the host header (so it works fine).

No, it's just a bug in our code ( both 3.3 and coyote ). If a Host header
is present, it should be interpreted exaclty as in HTTP/1.1.

> I see a lot of noise from you about this trivial issue. Is there something I
> missed ?

I guess we're missing Nacho's commit that fixes the problem :-)
It seems to be an itch for him - we're just making noise to encourage
him to fix it :-)