[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The point is not about developing multiple implementations - but about
> beeing a part of the community and proposing/discussing changes instead
> of posting announcements of a fork's releases.

 Costin,

 My response got to be way too long, so here's just a summary.
It comes off as a bit clipped, but that's because it's short,
not because the questions were unreasonable :-)

 - I did discuss MinTC/MinimalTomcat on the dev list, check the
   archives. The topic didn't seem very popular, but I took that
   to mean I had weird requirements that few others shared. Later
   on, I started making announcements as a way to generate
   discussion and keep the core developers up-to-date.

 - It's not a fork. If it were a fork, I wouldn't care about the
   core code. But it's not, so I do. It's not Tomcat 4, but it
   is, by any reasonable definition, a version of Catalina.

 - It was always my intention to propose donating the code back
   to Apache, I should have been more clear about this. But I
   wanted to wait for the 1.0 release, for obvious reasons.

 - MinTC is not competition for Tomcat. You would have to be
   frigging insane to use MinTC if you could possibly use
   Tomcat 4 instead. But sometimes Tomcat 4 is difficult or
   impossible to use. That's not because Tomcat 4 is bad, it's
   just that it's full featured. I didn't think a patch
   to remove MBeans, JNDI and auto-deployment from the core
   would be well received :-) If you're interested, there's
   more detail on the MinTC page.

 Thanks for your feedback,

--
Christopher St. John [EMAIL PROTECTED]