>Every "autoconf" M4 definition file (configure.in) is (should)
>be tied to
>the bone of what it's trying to actually configure... If there's enough
>stuff in common (like all you want is something like
>--enable-native=[native/native2]) that could work, but
>otherwise, it's just
>going to mess stuff around.

I should learn from webapp so ;)

>> That is probably the best.
>
>I disagree... APR is not a "shared library" like (for example) the "C"
>library, or the "ZLIB" library. It's a runtime, therefore each time you
>build it, you can have (or not) support for certain features and so on.

APR should be a shared library. It contains stuff very usefull for
any developpers who want to hide the OS underground complexity.

>Linking dynamically to such a library is (IMO) wrong unless
>you do it in a
>conservative way (like Apache 2.0 does, placing it in your Apache 2.0
>distribution tree). I don't think we'll ever see a
>/usr/lib/libapr.so-x.x.x
>(and _THAT_ would create some problems)

Take a look at my rpm, libapr goes to /usr/lib/libapr.
It's a common lib from http://apr.apache.org :

'The mission of the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) is to provide a free library of C
data structures and routines, forming a system portability layer to as many
operating systems as possible, including Unices, MS Win32, BeOS and OS/2'.

APR is not just an Apache 2.0 sublib...

>Therefore, why linking it dynamically? Just to have the extra
>overhead of
>referencing function pointers all the time? Do it static and
>compile it in,
>rely on the dynamic one only if your web server provides it
>for you (in that
>case it's because DSO modules are easier to link against a
>shared library
>than against an executable binary)....

And that's great, use a shared lib apr provided by independant
compilation or from apache 2.0

>> 1.3 needs threads on win32 at least.
>
>On Win32 and Netware (that's it)... But AFAIK those should be different
>makefiles.

Ok

>>> 4) What about jni support ?
>>
>> Costin is the one that knows.
>
>Remember that on Darwin it's JNI_CreateJavaVM_Impl()... :)

Hum, Pier will likely patch mod_jk ;)