On Tue, 7 May 2002, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> > APR libs should/could be installed in /usr/lib, /usr/include,
> > and considered 'system' ( like glib, qt, nspr, etc ).
> > If you build a non-threaded version, it shouldn't be
> > called libapr.so in any case.
>
> But we have to deliver the apr.so corresponding to mod_jk.so.
>
> Pier is right... That is more easy to link apr staticly to mod_jk. Having to
> deliver 2 files instead 1 will only bring more problems.

If you use Apache2 with mod_jk.so, then you _have_ a version of
libapr.so. Having 2 variations of the apr code will bring more problems.

If you don't use Apache2, jk2 will require you install a
libapr.so - the same version that is shiped/taged with Apache2.
First, you may install apache2 later :-)
And second, that's the only stable/tested/deterministic
 version of APR that exist. If APR1.0 is released in the meantime,
we'll have to decide what to do, but I hope an Apache2.1 will
be released at that time too.

If we would use Glib/Qt/NSPR - we would use the same mechanism,
you would install one of those libarary ( each having one common
goal with APR - of shielding you against OS-specific code ).

> > Also I think the version that comes with Apache2's
> > binary is to be considered the 'reference' - since Apr
> > was not released independently, the apache2 package can
> > be considered as the 'dependency'.
>
> We need one mod_jk.so for each version of apache2.

Of course. But mod_jk for Apache1.3 should use the same
version of APR as mod_jk for Apache2.

And preferably the same binary. Apache1.3 doesn't include
apr, so we can treat libapr as any other external library
that a module depends on.

Same for IIS - apr.dll from Apache2 is the stable/tested
version, that's the API we use in jk2 until another stable
release of apr is available.

It may be tough to require IIS users to install Apache2,
since apr.dll is not distributed separately ( but I can live
with that :-). So we may have to include apr.dll and the
headers in the jk distribution for IIS.

That's my opinion at least - I don't see myself using/supporting
a system where diferent components use different variation of
a library. Autoconf is not a deterministic process - especially
if you use a binary distribution, where the binaries may have been
built on different machine.