On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Jan Luehe wrote:

> > And I would bet most jsp implementations in use are doing exactly
> > what jasper1 is doing - and changing this will create big problems
> > ( while still beeing non-compiant with the spec, and completely
> > counterintuitive )
>
> But there also could be applications that expect (based on the spec)
> to have access to an AT_END variable where they currently don't (with jasper1).
> Those apps will (rightfully) complain that jasper does not follow the spec.

If most containers are consitently implementing the spec the way
jasper1 did - then we should continue to do so.

I don't think ant application will expect AT_END vars to be
declared at the beggining ( before AT_BEGIN and NESTED ).

And I don't think anyone with some programing experience will
ever expect that a variable declared in a nexted scope
<iterate>
   <declare>
</iterate>
will be visible after that ( even if the spec sugests it
should ).

> In my opinion the whole scoping issue of scripting variables
> is not carefully thought out in JSP 1.2, and it is up to us
> to balance conflicting requirements. If there is large consensus

I agree with this - there are conflicting requirements. But
backward compatibility and consistency are extremely important.

Other opinions ?