> > > - in the same case, the 'a' variable is declared at the top
> > > of the file, even if it is AT_END. That brakes previous <iterate>
> > > that used the 'a' id. I believe this is a bug.
> >
> > According to the spec, the scope of an AT_END variable spans
> > from the end element of the tag exposing it to the end of the page.
> >
> > The previous jasper did not implement this correctly:
> > If the tag exposing the AT_END variable was nested, the previous
> > jasper would declare the variable at its nesting level, limiting
> > its visibility. I think this was in violation of the spec.
>
> However the current jasper exposes it from the beginning of
> the service() method - which is also in violation of the spec.
> ( i.e. AT_END is before AT_BEGIN and anything else ).
>

> Costin

That's true, but the value of those variables are still synchronized
with the corresponding pageContext attributes at the locations
specified by the spec, so using these variables before they are
synchronized is meaningless.

The spec as is today really cannot be implemented correctly in Java.
What we are doing is let pages that conform to the spec
(e.g. referencing an AT_END variable after end of tag) be compiled
and run correctly, but does not prevent people from writing page that
is not spec conformant (e.g. referencing an AT_END variables in the
body).