On Wednesday 02 October 2002 09:38 am, Christian Gross wrote:
> Hi
>
> So I worked myself through the various CVS sources and have a couple of
> "official" position questions to ask.
>
> The CVS projects jakarta-tomcat-catalina and jakarta-tomcat-jasper, will be
> forming the Tomcat 5 work?

jakarta-servletapi-5, jakarta-tomcat-5, jakarta-tomcat-catalina,
jakarta-tomcat-connectors, jakarta-tomcat-jasper, and jakarta-watchdog-4.0
are the CVS repositories involved in Tomcat 5.0

> The CVS project jakarta-tomcat-4.0 is the 4.x branch?

Yes

> The CVS project jakarta-tomcat is anything before 4.0

Tomcat 3.x, at least.

> The CVS project jakarta-tomcat-5.0 does nothing??????

It's the master project for the whole Tomcat 5.0 project. To use it, start
with a directory like tc5-workspace. In that directory:
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/cvspublic
cvs co jakarta-servletapi-5
cvs co jakarta-tomcat-5
cvs co jakarta-tomcat-catalina
cvs co jakarta-tomcat-connectors
cvs co jakarta-tomcat-jasper

then, in jakarta-tomcat-5 create a build.properties file with the following
definition
base.path = /home/sdowney/tc5-workspace/depends
(replace /home/sdowney/tc5-workspace with path to your workspace. I don't know
if relative will work. I stopped dinking when I got my build system to
function)

You need ant 1.5 to build Tomcat 5

export ANT_HOME=/home/sdowney/tools/jakarta-ant-1.5

PATH=$PATH:$ANT_HOME/bin

ant download

The download target in Tomcat 5 gets the necessary ancillary libraries to
build the system. I'm using JDK 1.4, which has a few things built in. You may
need to install some things in JDK 1.3, like JCE. I'm not sure.

Then:

ant build
ant test
[Not many tests at the moment]
If you're contributing, you may also want to do

ant -Dfull.dist=on build

That will force a full compile, rather than checking which optional components
are available and setting things on or off based on the presense or absense
of classes. That useful for building a customized version, but for testing
purposes, a full build is better.

To run the watchdog conformance test suite:

ant watchdog