> If this reference is in your web.xml file, then my suggestion is already
> being done.  To test it, try temporarily copying the settings.xml file
> into the WEB-INF directory and changing the relative URL appropriately.

Putting the file in WEB-INF works, even if I use ../settings, ie
directly in webapps/ROOT.

> I'd be -1 on removing the security check in 4.x/5.x.  Fixing 3.3.2 sounds
> like a good idea.

I'll be -1 to fix the 3.3.2 for many reasons :

- It will brake all deployment strategy

- I'm still not sure it's a security problem since nobody prevent
   you to change to PUBLIC and goes outside :

   <!ENTITY % settings SYSTEM "../../../settings.xml"> %settings;

   <!ENTITY % settings PUBLIC "hackme" "http://hackme.com/settings.xml";>
%settings;

That's more than insecure isn't it ?

I take a look in specs and didn't see anything preventing you to have
entities located outside WEBAPP so I feel it's a regression and not a
security feature.

Ad minima, in TC 4.x and 5.x, there should be a setting in web.xml,
or server.xml to enable this behaviour even if it's prevented by default.