Just wondering if servlets (including JSP pages, since they are treated
exactly as servlets) are ever garbage collected in the lifetime of the
app server. As far as I know servlets are loaded only once in the jvm
and stay there for ever (except for restart ofcourse). So the servlet
(especially JSPs with lots of static content) will consume the memory of
the heap in the old generation.

If all the above are true I presume that moving big static content from
JSPs into files will decrease the memory needs of a web app. (increasing
I/O though)

Panagiotis Konstantinidis
Software Engineer
Softways Hellas Internet Development S.A
(http://www.softways.gr/)