Costin Manolache wrote:
Remy Maucherat wrote:

Hi,

I think the clustering features in Tomcat 5 should get an overhaul.
Despite some licensing dicrepancies, I plan to use JavaGroups for the
task (LGPL license), as well as some code which was donated a while ago
by Filip Hanik. Based on what is already done, the amount of work that
will have to be done to have quality clustering features seems small.

Most of the current clustering API will be removed in the process, since
it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, and didn't evolve past
experimental stage (if I am wrong on that, let me know).

I also plan to bundle JavaGroups with Tomcat 5, as it only adds a 1MB
standalone JAR. Configuring Tomcat for clustering will be quite easy
once all the code is in place.

I don't know if that plan is acceptable for everyone. Originally,
I -1ed the code submission because of licensing and absence of
integration with the existing Cluster API. The licensing issue is still
there, but since the Cluster API now seems sort of dead, another
solution has to be found (IMO, of course there's JK available).

Comments ?

+1 if all new code goes in a separate module ( instead of catalina ), and is built as separate .jar(s).

I think it is time to stop bloating the base tomcat source and binaries.

BTW, it may be a good time to move some of the current features in separate
modules as well. ( SSI, WebDAV, etc ). For webdav - I would rather see slide
bundled with tomcat and the current code deprecated.

I'm not talking ( for now ) about a real module with descriptors or anything, just separate dirs in the CVS and a .jar target that can be included or not.
It may be worth reopening the "minimal tomcat" discussion :-)

Costin
+1 to Costin's comments