Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the clustering features in Tomcat 5 should get an overhaul.
> Despite some licensing dicrepancies, I plan to use JavaGroups for the
> task (LGPL license), as well as some code which was donated a while ago
> by Filip Hanik. Based on what is already done, the amount of work that
> will have to be done to have quality clustering features seems small.
>
> Most of the current clustering API will be removed in the process, since
> it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, and didn't evolve past
> experimental stage (if I am wrong on that, let me know).
>
> I also plan to bundle JavaGroups with Tomcat 5, as it only adds a 1MB
> standalone JAR. Configuring Tomcat for clustering will be quite easy
> once all the code is in place.
>
> I don't know if that plan is acceptable for everyone. Originally,
> I -1ed the code submission because of licensing and absence of
> integration with the existing Cluster API. The licensing issue is still
> there, but since the Cluster API now seems sort of dead, another
> solution has to be found (IMO, of course there's JK available).
>
> Comments ?

+1 if all new code goes in a separate module ( instead of catalina ),
and is built as separate .jar(s).

I think it is time to stop bloating the base tomcat source and binaries.

BTW, it may be a good time to move some of the current features in separate
modules as well. ( SSI, WebDAV, etc ). For webdav - I would rather see slide
bundled with tomcat and the current code deprecated.

I'm not talking ( for now ) about a real module with descriptors or
anything, just separate dirs in the CVS and a .jar target that can be
included or not.

It may be worth reopening the "minimal tomcat" discussion :-)