Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

>> I'll remove stuff in the Cluster API, modify some of the session
>> classes to allow extending them in a different package, and everything
>> in the core is then independent of the clustering.
>
> No security problems if we kept the current package protection
> mechanism. Making those classes "public" can be dangerous if the package
> protection is not enabled.

That depends on the class loader - if tomcat is embedded in something else
( like J2EE or some other app ) I'm not sure how it'll protect this.

Also, a number of classes are public because they are intended to be used,
and a number of security problems may happen ( as we learned ) even if the
class is not accessible ( like the recent web.xml entity issues ).

>>> Bloat is not about MB or storage. It's about code complexity, potential
>>> security, etc.
>>

>> Ok. All distributions need to be thought as secure, though.
>
> Does that implies re-writting the current set of classloader? It might
> be a good time to revisit classloader and security :-)

Do you have so much free time :-) ? I'm +1 BTW.

If we reach consensus on JMX - it may be a good idea to use its class
very good. You have full control ( using mlet tags or API ) over
the class loaders and hierarchy.

>> +1 for JMX (as there's MX4J); as well as JNDI, BTW.
>
> +1

I'll send a separate mail with a VOTE subject.