I think you may have misunderstood. I'm just pointing out that, from a user's
perspective, a good solution requires two elements:

1) a good PRNG, such as secureRandom
2) a uniqueness guarantee

I'm not saying a PRNG is unneeded. I'm just saying a good one like PRNG is good
enough as long as it is accompanied by a uniqueness guarantee. Are you saying you
want to remove the uniqueness guarantee?

- Glenn

Eric Rescorla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Glenn Olander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

5) The strength of the PRNG is largely irrelevant

As a user, I wouldn't trust any solution which lacks a check for
duplicate session id's, regardless of the strength of the PRNG.

This doesn't seem to me to be a plausible position in view
of the fact that all of our security mechanisms absolutely
depend on statistical uniqueness of randomly generated large
numbers.