Peter Lin wrote:
I second remy's summary. from first hand experience with JSP with 200 tags,
tag pooling provide significant performance improvement. From what I saw in
OptimizeIt, with jasper1 and 200+ tags per page, garbage collection was happening
frequently and full GC was occuring way too often.
with tag pooling in jasper2, that changed the GC behavior and resulted in significant
improvement with 5 or more concurrent requests.

Also, thread local pools from TC 5 should help solve syncing issues. Of course, it would be hard to do a straight comparison given that TC 5 has a significantly lower overhead than TC 4.1.
Maybe using the Jasper 2 binaries from TC 4.1 to replace the ones from TC 5 could yield a fair comparison.

Remy